division header

Admissions Requirements

Butler Community College is an open Admission Institution, offering classes to individuals representing a full spectrum of academic ability. A free Application for Admission is required.

The following applicants may be admitted:

  1. Graduates of accredited high schools.
  2. Individuals who have completed the General Educational Development (GED) test.
  3. Any person who can benefit by a course or program of instruction, providing his/her high school class has graduated. We recommend checking with an academic advisor.

Guest Student Admission:

A person can be admitted to Butler as a Guest Student if the student meets the following criteria at Butler:

  1. Is not seeking an approved certificate or degree from Butler, and
  2. Is taking classes for personal enrichment/skill enhancement or for transfer, and
  3. Is not seeking federal financial aid or institutional aid.

Current high school students and international students cannot be admitted to Butler as Guest Students.

Guest Students must meet Butler course pre–requisites. Butler is accredited by the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools; therefore, a majority of Butler credits will transfer to other institutions of higher learning. If transferring courses to another institution, it is the students’ responsibility to check with the advising office at the receiving institution to ensure transferability of courses. Students may be concurrently enrolled at Butler and another college or university.

Guest Students at Butler will experience a streamlined admissions process and will have the opportunity to bypass the student advising process.

Guest Students who wish to declare a major/seek a degree and /or receive federal financial aid should follow the general admissions process.

A Guest Student who falsifies admission information will be subject to dismissal.

High School Student Admission:

High School students may take courses for credit, if they:

  1. Are classified as a sophomore, junior, or senior by the standards where the student attends high school.
  2. Have a High School/Home School Release Form signed by the high school PRINCIPAL certifying the student is at least a sophomore. This form should be turned in to the Registrar’s Office before enrollment takes place. Butler requires only one permission form per academic year, but individual high schools may require one each semester.
  3. Meet placement score requirements (ACT, SAT or ASSET). Scores must be certified on the High School/Home School Release Form prior to submission to the Registrar’s Office.
  4. Are classified as a gifted student in his/her freshman level of high school. A copy of the Individual Education Program (IEP) and a High School/Home School Release Form signed by the high school PRINCIPAL certifying giftedness, must be turned into the Registrar’s Office before enrollment takes place.

Note: High school students who are below the sophomore level or who do not have IEPs can only enroll in college courses for audit (noncredit). Student must meet placement score requirements.

Butler Community College CTE Waiver Eligible Programs
Career and Technical Education (CTE) courses available through Senate Bill 155
Guide for High School Students Taking College Classes

Contact admissions

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

contact stars

Don′t Miss a Deadline:

Click here for dates to add, drop or withdraw