division header
print: PDF
Text Size: A | A | A

Residency Information:

Any changes of residency status must be processed before the first day of the semester involved.

INSTATE RESIDENCY: When enrolling, the student is responsible for indicating the proper residence classification for tuition costs. If there is a question, the student should consult with personnel in the Registrar’s Office, or with registration personnel at other sites. Residency status is determined by procedures consistent with Kansas statutes. Copies of these statutes are available in the Registrar’s Office. Generally, residency is determined by length of residence---minimum of six months of established residency in Kansas and three or more of the following with dated 6 months prior to the semester involved:

a. Kansas registration of automobile
b. Payment of Kansas personal property tax
c. Kansas Voter registration
d. Kansas Job verification OR Kansas school attendance
e. Kansas driver’s license
f. 6 months of Kansas rent OR 6 months of Kansas utility receipts
g. Notarized statement from a Kansas resident verifying that student has resided with him or her for six months

To change residency, students must complete the Affidavit of Residency and provide 3 of the items from the list above by the first day of the semester involved. Documentation provided must indicate dates at least six months prior to the first day of the semester involved.


  1. Military- Military personnel, spouses and dependents must reside in Kansas or be assigned to a permanent duty station in Kansas to receive in-state rates.  There is a grandfather clause for Military personnel, spouses or dependents with continuous enrollment that have been reassigned out of state. ALL Military personnel, spouses and dependents residency changes in Banner will be processed by the Associate Registrar in El Dorado.  For any student that qualifies, a copy of the military ID should be sent to the Associate Registrar in El Dorado.  After review, the Associate Registrar will make the necessary residency adjustments.

  2. Domicillary Residence: If Kansas residency was established due to recruitment or transfer for full-time employment, email the Registrar’s Office (registrar@butlercc.edu) for information regarding Domicilary Residency.

  3. Undocumented: Beginning July 1, 2004, Kansas House Bill No. 2145 is a Kansas law that allows students without legal immigration status and students with a legal, non-permanent immigration status to receive the in-state tuition rate when they satisfy the requirements of the law. Undocumented students must meet the following:

    1. Students must reside in Kansas for a minimum of six months prior to the first day of classes of the semester in which they intend to enroll.
    2. Submit to the Registrar’s Office: an accredited Kansas high school transcript showing 3 years attendance and graduation OR Kansas high school transcript showing 3 years attendance and Kansas GED transcript.  
    3. Submit a completed Butler HB-2145 Affidavit.

  4. International Students: All international students attending Butler on a non-immigrant visa are subject to international student tuition and fee rates.

Appeal for Residency. If a student disagrees with his/her classification as a nonresident for tuition costs, he/she may file a written appeal within 30 days with the Registrar’s Office. The payment of tuition as originally assessed shall be a condition to the right to appeal residency classification. Failure to file an appeal within the time and manner specified makes classification by the Registrar’s Office final. For additional information, Registrar’s Office: (316) 322-3123 or direct 733-3123 from the Wichita/metro area or email registrar@butlercc.edu.