Math and English Placement Test (ASSET/COMPASS)
1. The student has successfully completed with a grade of C or higher, for college credit, the prerequisite to the math or English course in which he/she plans to enroll. Students who have taken math or English courses at another college or university must provide official verification of their previous work. For advising purposes, an unofficial copy of the transcript(s) may be used. However, the Registrar requires students who are seeking a degree at Butler to submit their official transcripts by the end of their first semester.
2. The student has taken the ASSET or COMPASS test within the last three years and a copy of the scores are on file.
3. The student has taken the ACT or SAT test within the last three years and a copy of the scores are on file. However, please note the following:
If the student's ACT English score is below 18 and his/her Reading score is below 15 or if the student's SAT Verbal score is below 450 and his/her Reading score is below 700, the student will be required to take the ASSET or COMPASS test to determine proper English/Reading course placement.
Students with ACT Math scores of 17 or above or SAT Math scores of 400 or above will be placed in math classes based on both their ACT or SAT Math scores and their high school math coursework. If the student's ACT Math score is below 17 or his/her SAT Math score is below 400, he/she will be required to take the ASSET or COMPASS test to determine proper math placement. For math placement guidelines and math study guides, please click here.
Either the ASSET or COMPASS test will be administered to the following students. Please contact the advising center nearest you to make a test appointment.
1. Any student who has never taken the ACT or SAT.
2. Any student who has not taken the ACT, SAT, ASSET or COMPASS test within the last three years.
3. Any student who does not have the ACT, SAT, ASSET or COMPASS scores on file.
4. Any student who has taken the ACT or SAT, but does not want to enroll based on the placement criteria.
Students seeking accommodation on placement testing and in the classroom must provide documentation to the Disability Services office PRIOR to testing. Failure to provide documentation of a disability may not constitute a reason to retest.
Effective September 1, 2011, the fee for placement testing is $15.00 for Butler Community College students and $25.00 for non-Butler students. The fee is due at the time of testing.
Don′t Miss a Deadline:
Click here for dates to add, drop or withdraw